Once you’ve decided to include gamification in your virtual event, you’ll need to decide what games and prizes you will offer. Different event app software packages offer differing gamification options. Some offer premade challenge options, while others provide more options for customization.
Prizes can be as simple as giving the winner event-wide recognition or something of monetary value. Sponsors will often be willing to donate prizes as it increases their brand awareness and adds to the general goodwill. Cities that have historically hosted the real-life version of an annual event have sometimes contributed vouchers for future visits, coffee-table books about the city, etc. Amazon Gift Cards or certificates for home food delivery are also popular.
Some examples of virtual event gamification include:
- Trivia – provide a series of questions throughout your event. The questions can be related to presentation content and/or vendor products;
- Virtual escape room – In a traditional escape room, a group is locked in a room and the goal is to find and solve clues so they can escape before time is up. In a virtual escape room, teammates prepare to “enter” a room by downloading an escape room app, and “meet” their teammates over a video conferencing platform to collaborate about their escape. This type of activity can encourage individuals to work together so are great for promoting teamwork and networking;
- Virtual scavenger hunt: At a physical event, a scavenger hunt can increase attendee interactions with exhibitor booths, and the same idea applies to virtual events. The scavenger hunt tasks can include many event features, such as sponsor information, meeting content, featured, or networking opportunities;
- Polls: Many virtual event platforms have built-in polling options making gamification easy. Attendees are rewarded points for each poll taken;
- Bingo – Attendees receive a bingo card populated with information about sponsors, exhibitors, and speakers. The bingo cards can also include participation in activities, networking connections, etc.; and,
- Attendee Drawings – generates and spin attendees’ names so the crowd sees the prizewinner in real time.