The winter holidays are approaching and this year it’s more important than ever to stay connected with coworkers. There are many ways to adapt annual celebrations to the virtual world.
To avoid an online gathering feeling like just another meeting, consider celebrating with activity-based party ideas:
- Take an online class or workshop – stream a class together and learn a new skill, especially one that has nothing to do with work. Cooking classes are popular – everyone has to eat and making special dishes is a part of celebrations all over the world;
- Wellness and self-care – Have an instructor lead a group meditation or a yoga class. Memberships to a streaming service or wellness app could be included to use throughout the coming year;
- Stream a holiday movie – and perhaps provide whatever is the standard movie goers’ snack to enjoy with the movie;
- Organize a holiday recipe exchange – this can be particularly fun if you have people from different parts of the country or from around the world. What is their traditional holiday meal?;
- Take a virtual tour – you can explore cities, do online scavenger hunts, escape locked rooms, and more;
- Play a game show – there are a number of virtual reproductions of popular game shows available – such as Jeopardy and Family Feud – that can be customized; and
- Be active in your communities – in these times, donating your time and energy can be a rewarding alternative to the customary company celebration. You can provide time off so that people can volunteer with their local organization of choice, or coordinate a food/toy/clothing drive.